Gassnova has knowledge of CO2 capture and storage in the entire innovation system, including research, technology development and capture, transport and storage technology. Gassnova will actively connect specialist environments within research, industry and public enterprises and, through its various tasks, will facilitate the achievement of the state’s goals with the investment in the capture and storage of CO2.
In accordance with the Articles of Association, Gassnova’s purpose and primary tasks are to:
- Manage the Norwegian state’s interests relating to carbon capture and storage and implement the projects approved at the General Meeting.
- Advise the Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy on issues around carbon capture and storage.
- Contribute to technology development and develop competence through concrete carbon capture and storage projects and the implementation of the CLIMIT programme.
Gassnova shall facilitate the state in achieving the goals of its carbon capture and storage (CCS) efforts. Gassnova shall actively connect professional communities within fields of research, industry and public businesses and shall, through its various tasks, facilitate the state in achieving the goals of its carbon capture and storage efforts.
“Gassnova’s primary objective is to promote technology development and develop competence for cost-effective and future-oriented carbon capture and storage solutions.”Gassnova SF letter of assignment for 2023
“Gassnova shall coordinate the work on the realisation of gains for Longship so that the goals of Longship can come to fruition, including how the Test Centre Mongstad (TCM) and the CLIMIT programme can contribute to the realisation of gains and be a driver of the development of carbon capture and storage internationally with specific focus on Europe and the EU.”Gassnova SF letter of assignment for 2023
Priorities for 2023
- Follow up state subsidy agreements and industry actors’ project management of Longship on behalf of the state and in line with mandates from the Ministry of Petroleum and Energy, cf. authorisations. Contribute to maintaining good progress in the various Longship sub-projects in accordance with the plan and budget and through a risk-based follow-up. Report on the status and progress of the projects in accordance with the steering document. Assess and implement measures for project follow-up and quality assurance, including cost and risk management, in line with authorisations and the steering document.
- Coordinate work on the realisation of gains for Longship so that the goals of Longship can come to fruition, including how the Test Centre Mongstad (TCM) and the CLIMIT programme can contribute to the realisation of gains and be a driver of the development of carbon capture and storage internationally with specific focus on Europe and the EU.
- Facilitate the proper and long-term utilisation of facilities at the Test Centre Mongstad. Develop proposals for models with lower or no state funding for TCM after 2023 in collaboration with other owners.
- Map the opportunities and measures to use CO2 in industrial production (CCU) as a climate initiative and carbon capture and storage for waste incineration and processing plants in Norway based on existing funds. This work should be viewed in the context of the management of CLIMIT Demo. The Ministry will provide further details on this in due course.